Laman

Selasa, 08 Februari 2011

LEMBAR SOAL ULANGAN TENGAH SEMESTER I TAHUN PELAJARAN 2010/2011 MATA PELAJARAN : BAHASA INGGRIS HARI / TANGGAL : K E L A S : X (SEPULUH) WAKTU :

I. Choose the one right answer!


Text 1 is for question 1 to 7
MISNA
Once upon a time, there was an old woman who lived in a very old hut near a forest with her only daughter. The daughter’s name is Misna. She is beautiful but she had envious heart.
One day she saw girl of her age passing by her hut. The girl was joining her father hunting. She dressed in beautiful cloth. His father’s assistants respected her. Misna could not sleep when she was remembering this. She was very angry with her condition. She hated her hopeless mother.
In the morning she shouted at her mother. She wanted her mother to buy the most beautiful gown in the markets for her. Of course her mother could not afford it. Then she cried and cried. She did not want to eat anything. Her mother was very sad. She decided to sell a piece of land, the only valuable thing that she had. She bought her beloved daughter a very beautiful dress.
Misna admired herself. She wanted to show everybody that she was a very beautiful girl. She asked her mother to bring her to another village. Along the way, she smiled to everyone. People in the village thought that she was a princess. They gave her a high respect and invited her to have meal in their house. Misna enjoyed this and told everybody that she was princess and mother was maid. Her mother was very sad but she kept her felling deep in the heart.
On the way home Misna met a handsome prince. He was interested in her and wanted to marry her. Misna told the prince that her mother had died and father married to another woman. She was having a long trip with her loyal maid. Listening to this, her mother was very upset. She cried loudly Misna was very angry to her and told her to be away from her.
Suddenly there was a heavy rain accompanied with big thunders. Everyone run away to save themselves. Misna was very afraid. She cried. Her mother wanted to help her but she did not want to at that time a big thunder hit her to dead.

1. What is the type of the text?
a. Procedure
b. Descriptive
c. Narrative
d. News item
e. Report

2. When did she ask her mother a beautiful dress?
a. After she saw another girl with beautiful dress
b. on the way home she met a handsome prince
c. after her mother sold a piece of her land
d. when a heavy rain and big thunders came
e. since the villagers invited her to have meal in their house

3. How could her mother buy her a beautiful dress?
a. from her saving
b. by borrowed from her relative
c. by robbed a bank
d. from her salary
e. by selling the only land she had

4. What made her mother cried aloud?
a. Misna told everyone that she was her maid
b. Misna told the prince that her mother had died
c. Misna told the prince that she was her maid
d. Misna wanted her mother to buy the most beautiful gown
e. Misna was joining her father hunting for a long time

5. What happened at last?
a. Misna got married to a prince
b. Misna was wet in rain
c. Her mother bought her the most beautiful gown
d. A thunder hit Misna to dead
e. She had meal in villagers house

6. She is beautiful but she had envious heart
What is the synonym of the underlined word?
a. Ambiguous
b. Jealous
c. Fierce
d. Festive
e. Humble

7. What is the moral value that we can take from the text?
a. We can ask everything to our parents
b. Crying makes our parents angry
c. We have to be kind to our parents
d. Beautiful dress will make the people respect us
e. We can change our mother become the maid


Text 2 is for no. 8 - 11

A Visit to a Wildlife Park
I recently visited Sydney with my parents. We visited many interesting places. The one I enjoyed best was the Wildlife Park.
The Wildlife Park has a lot different Australian animals and birds. There are over 600 animals, including kangaroos, wallabies, koala and crocodiles. They are kept in their natural surroundings. I much preferred the Wildlife Park to a zoo where a lot of animals are in cages.
We were able to walk along the kangaroos and wallabies. We were even allowed to touch them and to feed them. It was very exciting to be very so close to them.
We saw koala bears. They looked very cuddly. I got my photograph taken with one of them. It is a wonderful souvenir of my holiday in Sydney.
We also went to see the crocodiles. The Wildlife Park has a lot of fresh-, water and salt-water crocodiles. Some of them were very big and scary with, huge teeth. I did not get very close to them.
We also visited the aviary. There were some very colorful birds there. I really liked an old parrot which could talk.
I wish we could have spent more time in the Wildlife Park. There was so much to see.

8. What is the main idea of paragraph 2?
a. The wild life park has a lot a fresh water and salt water crocodiles
b. We were able to walk along the kangaroos, and wallabies
c. I much preferred the wildlife park to a zoo
d. the wild life park has a lot different Australian animals and birds
e. I recent visited sonly with my parents

9. What is the generic structure of the text?
a. orientation > complication > resolution
b. Goal > material > steps
c. Orientation > events > re-orientation
d. Identification > description
e. General classification > description

10. …. Allowed to touch them and to feed...
The word them in paragraph 3 refers to...
a. the writers family
b. the visitors of wildlife park
c. fresh water and salt water crocodiles
d. the kangaroos and wallabies
e. koala and wallabies

11. What is the communicative purpose of the text?
a. to amuse, entertain and to deal with actual or vicarious experience
b. to tell the readers what happened in the past
c. to persuade the readers that something a case
d. to describe a particular place or thing
e. to share with others an account of on unusual or amusing incidents

Text 3 is for no. 12 - 16

Once upon a time there was a poor widow who had an only son named Jack. They were so poor that they didn't have anything except a cow. When the cow had grown too old, his mother sent Jack to the market to sell it. On the way to the market, Jack met a butcher who had some beautiful beans in his hand. The butcher told the boy that the beans were of great value and persuaded the silly lad to sell the cow for the beans.
Jack brought them happily. When he told his mother about this, his mother became so angry that she threw the beans out of the window.
When Jack woke up in the morning, he felt the sun shining into a part of his room, but all the rest was quite dark and shady.
So he jumped to the window. What did he see? The beanstalk grew up quite close past Jack's window. He opened the window and jumped to the beanstalk which ran up just like a big ladder.
He climbed ... and climbed till at last he reached the sky. While looking around, he saw a very huge castle. He was very amazed.
Then Jack walked along the path leading to the castle. There was a big tall woman on the doorstep. Jack greeted her and asked for the giantess' mercy to give him breakfast, because he felt very hungry. Although the giantess grumbled at first, finally she gave Jack a hunk of bread and cheese and a jug of milk.
Jack hadn't finished when the whole house began to tremble with the noise of someone's coming. "Oh! It's my husband'." cried the giantess. "What on earth shall I do?"
Hastily the giantess opened a very big cupboard and hid Jack there.

12. Where did jack sell his cow?
a. at the castle
b. at the market
c. at the giants castle
d. at the butchers house
e. on the way to the market

13. What is the story about?
a. Jack and a butcher
b. Jack and the giantess
c. Jack and the bean stalk
d. A poor widow and his son
e. The giantess and her husband

14. “Oh! its my husband !” cried the giantess (paragraph 7)
“What on earth shall I do?
From the sentence we know that the giantess ………her husband.
a. angry with
b. afraid of
c. fed up with
d. annoyed with
e. displeased with

15. Jack’s mother looked very furious when jack told that …
a. the beans were precious
b. the butcher bought his cow
c. he had sold his cow to a butcher
d. he traded his cow for the beans
e. he met a butcher on the way to the market

16. What do we learn from the text?
a. Jack’s mother was a furious mother
b. poverty makes people hopeless
c. the giantess took pity on jack
d. jack was an innocent boy
e. sincerity makes jack get something precious

Text 4 is for no.17 - 23

SANDY
I remember the day when I first got Sandy, my 7 year old cat. I wanted to name her because she was so cute. My older sister Michelle convinced me to name her Sandy Bucket instead; so we could call her Sandy for short. I was so attached to Sandy. Every time I saw her, I couldn’t walk away; I would just have to hug her. I even slept at the end of my bed, so I can hug her the whole night even though I was freezing.
I always remember so many fun times with Sandy. Like when we would run and jump off the end of our pier and Sandy would chase after us. When I was scared or mad, I would just hug Sandy and everything wouldn’t be so bad.
But one night, right before I went to bed, my mom let her out. While I went to sleep, my mom went to call Sandy back in. But she didn’t come in, so I thought she maybe went inside my neighbor’s house. As my mom and dad went outside to look for Sandy, I became really worried. They couldn’t find her. Every ten minutes they would go out to look for her, so I went to bed hoping she was safe. I just thought she got lost and would come back tomorrow.
The next day was the worst. My mom woke us early and told me and my sister, Michelle, that Sandy died last night. I was so sad and did not want to do anything that day. When I was going to school, I could not stop crying. At school all my friends made me cards and tried to make me stop crying, but I couldn’t. my teacher would always look at me and ask why I was crying. Even my friends were crying with me.
When I got home I went to my room crying really loudly. I wanted to scream. I came downstairs and hugged my mom. She said we could get another cat. Then, she was trying to find a new cat on the internet. But I did not want another cat. I want Sandy. She never found one that looked like Sandy or at the same age or even in the same kind.
That night I slept with my mom and we prayed for Sandy. I kept thinking she was a ghost at the end of the bed, so I stayed closed to my mom. The next day I figured out that if Sandy was a ghost, she would not scare me or haunt me. She would be waiting for me to play with her.
I still think about Sandy every day and wish she could come back.

Source: http://www.mertonschool.com (August 12, 2004)
17. The type of the text is …
a. Spoof
b. News item
c. Recount
d. Narrative
e. Report

18. What is the main idea of the text …
a. Sandy’s dead
b. The lost of beloved cat
c. The careless of the writer’s mom
d. Looking for Sandy
e. The writer slept with her mom

19. How the cat could get lost?
a. The cat played with another cat
b. The neighbor kept the cat in his/her house
c. Someone took the cat to the remote area
d. The thief took the cat
e. The writer’s mom let the cat out one night

20. What did the writer’s mom do to support the writer?
a. She slept with the writer
b. She supported to the policeman
c. She was trying to find a new cat on the internet
d. She bought a new cat
e. She gave the writer money

21. What is the purpose of the text?
a. To tell you about past event
b. To describe a place
c. To tell you a joke
d. To tell you a story
e. To persuade you to do something

22. Which step does the writer use to write the text?
a. Thesis > argument > recommendation
b. Orientation > events > re-orientation
c. Abstract > orientation > crisis > reaction > coda
d. Orientation > evaluation > complication
e. Newsworthy events > background events > sources

23. What is the main idea of third paragraph?
a. I went to bed hoping she was safe
b. She would back tomorrow
c. Mom and dad went outside to look for Sandy
d. The writer went to call Sandy back in
e. The writer’s mom let Sandy out

Text 5 is for no. 24-27

On Wednesday, my students and I went to Jogjakarta. We stayed at Dirgahayu Hotel which is not far from Malioboro.
On Thursday we visited the temples in Prambanan. There are three big temples, the Brahmana, Syiwa and Wisnu temples. They are really amazing. We visited only Brahma and Syiwa temples, because Wisnu temple is being renovated.
On Friday morning we went to Jogja Kraton. We spent about two hours there. We were lucky because we were led by a smart and friendly guide. Then we continued our journey to Borobudur. We arrived there at four p.m. At 5 p.m. we heard an announcement that Borobudur gate would be closed.
In the evening we left for Jakarta by Wisata bus.
24. The text above mainly discusses about …
a. the writer’s first visit to Prambanan
b. the writer’s impression about the guide
c. the writer’s trip to Jogyakarta
d. The writer’s experience at Kraton
e. The writer’s impression about Borobudur

25. Which temple was being renovated?
a. Syiwa
b. Brama
c. Borobudur
d. Syiwa and Wisnu
e. Wisnu

26. Which of the following statements is true?
a. The writer and the student went to Jogyakarta for having a research
b. The writer went to Borobudur first and then to kraton
c. The writer was very disappointed with the guide
d. The writer left for Jakarta on Friday
e. Malioboro is very far from Dirgahayu hotel

27. “Tell what happened, in what sequence”.
The sentence above is the meaning of…
a. Evaluation in narrative
b. Re-orientation in recount
c. Events in recount
d. Orientation in recount
e. Resolution in narrative

28. What is the dominant structure of the text?
a. Orientation>events>re-orientation
b. To retell the events for the purpose of informing or entertaining
c. Simple past tense
d. The comment from the writer
e. The title of the text

29. Mrs. Eris …. vegetable in the market every morning
What is the suitable verb to fill in the blanks….
a. buys
b. buies
c. buy
d. bought
e. buyed

30. Mr. Frank … his house last year
What is the suitable verb to fill in the blanks….
a. sell
b. sells
c. selled
d. selles
e. sold

31. She writes a letter to her boy friend every month
The right interrogative sentence is …
a. Did she write a letter to her boy friend every month?
b. Did she writes a letter to her boy friend every month?
c. Does she write a letter to her boy friend every month?
d. Does she writes a letter to her boy friend every month?
e. Do she write a letter to her boy friend every month?

32. Mr. and Mrs. Irawan watch TV every night
The negative form of the sentence is
a. They didn’t watch TV every night
b. They didn’t watches TV every night
c. They doesn’t watch TV every night
d. They don’t watches TV every night
e. They don’t watch TV every night

33. The postman .....a letter for me yesterday.
What is the suitable verb to fill in the blanks….
a. Brought
b. Broke
c. Taught
d. Bring
e. Find

34. + : We had an exercise this morning.
The negative form of the sentence is.......
a. We had not an exercise this morning
b. We had not had an exercise this morning
c. We had not have an exercise this morning
d. We didn’t had an exercise this morning
e. We didn’t have an exercise this morning

35. + : Mr Tono drove the bus carefully
The interrogative of the sentences is....
a. Mr Tono doesn’t drive the bus carefully
b. Did Mr Tono drove the bus carefully?
c. Did Mr Tono drive the bus carefully?
d. Mr Tono drive didn’t the bus carefully?
e. Does Mr Tono drive the bus carefully?

36. A: When did you buy this new car?
B: ..................................................
The right answer for the question is ……
a. I buy it last month
b. I bought it last month
c. I will buy it next month
d. I bought it tonight
e. I brought it yesterday
37. Ilham ...... the night at his friend home when his parents ...........in Bali last month.
What are the suitable words to fill in the blanks….
a. spent – are
b. spoke – was
c. spent – were
d. spent – was
e. went – was

38. Mrs. Eris cooked some delicious food for us last night
The right question for the underlined word is...
a. Who cooked some delicious food for us last night?
b. When did she cook some delicious food for us?
c. Where did she cook some delicious food for us last night?
d. Why did she cook same delicious food for us last night?
e. What did she cook for us last night?

39. She wore a beautiful white gown in the party last week
The right interrogative of the sentences is …
a. Do she wore a beautiful white gown in the party last week?
b. Does she wears a beautiful white gown in the party last week?
c. Did she wore a beautiful white gown in the party last week?
d. Did she wear a beautiful white gown in the party last week?
e. Did she wears a beautiful white gown in the party last week?

40. My sister did her homework last night
The right question for the underlined word is....
a. Who did do the homework?
b. Where did your sister do her homework?
c. Why did your sister do her homework?
d. When did your sister do her homework?
e. What did your sister do last night?

2 komentar: